I confess. I am a food addict. I love food! It's always been there for me. It's there for all the special celebrations in life. I mean who graduates, has birthday, or celebrates anything of any significance without a cake or a special meal? No one in my family - that's for sure!
Just the thought of a juicy porter house steak gets my taste buds going....
Food my friend
Food my enemy
I was watching a documentary on WLS and was not very surprised to hear that many WLS patients replace their food addiction with other addictions. Alcohol seems to be the number one drug of choice. I can understand that. Alcohol is readily available and easily attainable. No real social taboos about having a drink. However, the one woman in this documentary didn't turn to alcohol. No she went straight to crack cocaine. She went from this clean cut homebody chubby to this homeless crack addict post WLS. Seriously! How does someone go from loving spaghetti to being addicted to crack cocaine! That possibility just blows my mind! And quite frankly - it also sends a ripple of apprehension down my spine.
On Wednesday I start a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. This past week I've eaten so much food my colon is working overtime. I feel horrible. But I also feel like I have to get it all in! Every steak, every piece of bread or pancake, every bowl of spaghetti I can choke down! My time is running out! I am freaking out! I am really struggling to understand why I feel so much pressure to gorge myself to death.
Only 5 meals left to optifast. After my marathon of food consumption (I actually made myself sick over the weekend) I am kinda looking forward to letting go of food. Check back on Friday to see if I still feel the same way!
The addiction thing is interesting. Let's hope you get addicted to... scrapbooking, or something. I guess any addiction isn't good, although some are surely better than others.
ReplyDeleteBea
Thanks Bea! I am hoping that its exercise!! Yeah, that was a joke!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Jen!! I look forward to following along with you :)
ReplyDelete