When you've had weight loss surgery scheduling your meals becomes a necessity. Eating is now a "must do" rather than a "want to". I have to eat at very specific times or it throws the whole daily schedule off. I am very much reminded of an infants feeding schedule. If you miss that 10 am feeding baby is not at all happy. Missing the 10 am feeding throws off the 12 pm feeding and so on and so on. It's the same for me!
To top it off there is the 30/30 rule for WLS patients. This means no drink 30 minutes before a meal and 30 minutes after a meal. Drinking after or during a meal will cause you to "wash" your food down your pouch which then leads to eating more or hunger after eating. I especially found that my breakfast routine is most affected by this 30/30 rule.
I use to wake up, shower, and then have some coffee then maybe eat some breakfast (usually a huge bagel piled high with cream cheese or fast food) while sipping my coffee. Well I can't do that anymore. That doesn't work for me anymore. So the first thing I do when I wake up is eat! I keep forgetting to do this and it throws my whole morning off! It's really taking some re training here to get use to the new me.
So maybe you're wondering what I eat in a day. Here's my schedule for those of you with inquiring minds.
7:30 am: Breakfast: an egg, or 1/2 cup oatmeal or cream of wheat
8:00 am: Blessed coffee!!
10:30 am: Banana/Orange protein shake
12:30 pm: Lunch: 1/4 -1/2 cup of tuna, chicken, shrimp or egg salad
3:00 pm: Chocolate protein shake
5:30 p.m. Dinner: 1 oz meatball jazzed up, or chicken, or above salads.
That's it. That's what I eat in a day. Sometimes I squeeze in a pudding cup. And of course I am drinking 64 oz of water a day.
I use to not eat until 1 pm, but then at 1 pm I was ravenous and would probably consume 2, 000 plus calories. It's so amazing to see what this tool, my band, has done for my life. How the necessity of change has really finally broken through!
Uh Oh! YOu are "gaining" on me. Congrats on doing so very well. Nice to have someone close that is going through the same ordeal as me!
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Wow, that just doesn't seem like a lot of food. Glad you're keeping strictly to doctor's orders. Can't believe you used to survive til 1pm without food! I can barely make it out of bed before I have to eat. No wonder you were hungry by then. Little and often sounds like a much better way.
ReplyDeleteBea
Bea- I know it doesn't seem like a lot but it really does fill me up! I am consuming between 750 -850 calories a day. Plus multiple supplements and such for nutrition. I really feel great and have tons of energy!
ReplyDelete